Stanford Badge

Stanford Badge
Stanford

Monday 17 November 2014

Scuba Diving

In the half term, I went to Tenerife and stayed in a place called Alcalá, which is on the west coast. When I was in Tenerife, my parents paid for me to do scuba diving in the sea, the instructor was a really nice the guy that took me into the sea.He was called Frank.
He said there might be a possibility that we would see turtles and that if we do not to put my fingers near its mouth “as they will see your fingers like sardines and will bite your fingers off!” He showed me where we were going to swim. At this point, I was really excited!
Then we got on our wet suits and put the gear on my back, it was really heavy! Just to add to the weight, Frank adds 2kg to each pocket in my gear. Then we had to walk down to the sea; the tank of oxygen on my back was the heaviest thing so Frank told me to walk like a hunchback so I wouldn't hurt my back.
When we got down to the water he told me to put on my flippers and then straight after that I put my mask on and it had to be tight so no sea water would get into the mask. Then we got into the sea!
When we got down into the sea, it was only a matter of minutes before I saw my first turtle! (The species of turtles that are inhabited around the coast of Alcalá is the Green Turtle.) The turtle came right up to us and we managed to take a photo of it and just then another came up to us! I was excited! When I managed to have a look at it, it had a tracking device on it so that got me thinking about what I wanted to be when I was older.

After this experience I have asked my mum if I can start scuba diving as a hobby and she said that she will see. Also I have been inspired by the sea and Frank to become a marine biologist so I can work with all the sea animals and work actually in the sea! I hope I can move back out to Tenerife and work at the local animal park as they do a lot of marine biology there.

By Lily Soaper    




2 comments:

  1. A really interesting blog Lily. The pictures are excellent. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog! it is very detailed and interesting! Keep it up!
    Heather Meldrum

    ReplyDelete